Warming Sock Treatment - for Head/Sinus and Upper Respiratory Congestion
The Warming Sock Treatment is a Hydrotherapy treatment, based on simple physiology of stimulating blood flow to the feet to decrease congestion to the head.
I remember doing this at school during first year hydrotherapy class at the Naturopathic college thinking this was silly. Little did I know how simple and effective this classical hydrotherapy treatment really is.
I didn't appreciate the simplicity and effectiveness of this treatment until years later when I had my own children, and did this on them at all ages (babies to young children) when they had stuffy noses and upper respiratory congestion. I would put the damp wet socks on their warm little feet, cover the damp socks with thick woolen socks and send them to bed. They always woke up the next day less congested, able to breathe better and feeling like they had a good night's rest.
This is how to do this SIMPLE, EFFECTIVE and SAFE treatment at home, to help yourself (or your family members).
Warming Sock Treatment
This procedure should be used at the first indication of any congestion in the head, sinuses, throat or lungs. The warming sock treatment is best if repeated for as many nights as necessary to improve the condition. Children love this treatment. You can put the socks on AFTER the child has gone to bed if you wish.
1. Cotton socks
2. Wool socks (or other thick, large socks if you do not have wool socks)
3. Cold Water
4. Warm foot bath - if needed
1. If your feet are cool or cold it is important to WARM THEM FIRST. This is very important as the treatment will not be as effective and could be uncomfortable and not work. Warming can be accomplished by soaking your feet in warm water for 5-10 minutes or by taking a warm bath or shower.
2. Next, take a pair of COTTON socks and get them wet with cold water from the ankle down. Be sure to wring the socks our thoroughly.
3. Place the cold wet (rung out) socks on your warm dry feet. Cover the damp socks completely with thick WOOL socks. Go to bed. Avoid getting chilled.
You will find that the wet cotton socks will be dry in the morning. Many patients report that they sleep much better during the treatment.
This simple hydrotherapy treatment works by initially causing vasoconstriction of the blood vessels to your feet from the cold damp socks and as you sleep your body gradually warms up and then the blood vessels in your feet vasodilate and send more blood flow to your feet which helps to move your circulation and lymph away from your head while you sleep.
Post a Comment